The introvert in me burns for solitude. The Christian in me burns for the lost.
A house on a hill. A room with a window. A desk near that window. A typewriter on the desk. Piles of books about the desk.
Look down from the window and you see a garden. Then a long lawn. And a road that winds through the hills. Miles before it reaches civilization.
Morning, noon and night spent reading, writing and wandering. In the evening a novelist pops in for a pint. On the weekend a photographer and a poet crash until Sunday afternoon.
That was my idea of utopia. Bliss fit for an Emily Dickinson, J. D. Salinger or Thomas Pynchon. Bliss fit for a self-absorbed intellectual snob.
Then Jesus wrecked that vision. Not all at once. But over time. Read more
Subscribe to Fallen + Flawed
A quick and dirty guide to living a meaningful Christian life. Subscribe now.
- How Do You Say Thank You to a Silent Hero?
- Image credit: Danny Hass We all have one: a silent hero. The person who led us to the Lord. Who prayed without ceasing for our conversion. Who said or did something that changed our life–but who, for one reason or another, is no longer part of our lives. It could’ve been somebody we met in another [...] Read more – ‘How Do You Say Thank You to a Silent Hero?’.
- This Is the Book Review That Turned Into a Lesson on Writing Titles
- Let’s start with what I don’t like about his book. The title: THINC About It: Reading Christ in Scripture. Exactly the kind of title you might find in the catalog of a publisher who doesn’t know how to market a book. That’s a shame because this book deserves better than that. A book–especially a non-fiction [...] Read more – ‘This Is the Book Review That Turned Into a Lesson on Writing Titles’.
- Mere Christianity (Winner of the Most Logical Gospel* Book)
- Introducing the 9/60 best books on the gospel. A 62-week long series. Let me give you the lowdown on the asterisk up there next to the word “Gospel.” When I first stumbled across this list of the best books on the gospel I found many titles that I would expect to be on that list. Then [...] Read more – ‘Mere Christianity (Winner of the Most Logical Gospel* Book)’.